Diabetes is a disease in which your blood glucose (blood sugar) is too high. Blood glucose is your main source of energy. Normally, the pancreas (a gland) releases insulin (hormone) to help your body store and use the sugar from the food you take. Sometimes your body doesn’t make sufficient or any—insulin or doesn’t respond to insulin appropriately.
The most common types of diabetes are type 1 and type 2,
The role of diet in diabetes
Meal of diabetic patient is depending on calories. Which decides on it s age, weight, gender, height, working etc. Depending on each person s different different dietary chart is created. We must take special care of time and amount of food in diabetes
- An obese middle aged or elderly patient with mild diabetes 1000 -1600 kcal.
- A young active diabetic 1800 -3000 kcal.
- Daily intake of carbohydrate: 1/10th of total calories approximately 180gm.
- Daily intake of protein: 60gm to 110gm.
- An elderly diabetic but not over weight 1400 -1800 kcal.
Advice for diabetes patient:
- 35-40 minute faster walk every day.
- Always take food between times intervals like take breakfast in morning, lunch, some snakes and dinner.
- Avoid oily food.
- Intake more fiber foods in meals
Vegetables especially green leafy vegetables should form a major part of the diet plan as they are a rich source of nutrients required by the body.